FSBO, what is that? For sale by owner or DIY home selling.
I will be the first one to tell you that I love a deal. As a result, if there is a way to save money on something I am all over it. However, even before I had my real estate license when it came time to buy or sell, I hired an agent. Especially after learning all the liability that is involved.
Let me start off by saying, personally I know people that have sold their home without a REALTOR®. While some have been successful, others have been downright unhappy with their results. Many have gone on to hire a professional.
Here are three reasons seller go the FSBO route:
- Commissions, sellers do not want to pay commissions to a real estate professional they want to keep more money in their pockets.
- Control of the sale, sellers feel that they will have better control of the deal.
- Timeline, FSBO sellers are not in a rush to move, so they feel as if they have more time to handle the sale themselves.
Here are three reasons to consider hiring a REALTOR®:
- According to NAR (National Association of REALTORS®), the typical FSBO home sold for $200, 000 while the agent-assisted home sold for $265,000. This data contradicts the idea that selling a home without an agent will save you money.
- To hire an agent means you to have a team of professionals representing your interest throughout the process. Making sure all paperwork is correct, hiring a professional photographer, advertising, placing a sign in the yard, fielding calls, scheduling showings and everything in between. Just imagine how much time you will save!
- I am not emotionally attached, holiday gatherings, birthday parties and the like are not an emotional trigger for me. Also, I do not know what caused that ding in the wall or why that one shutter is broken. This is a good thing, now I can help you make an informed decision about how selling this home, whose memories you get to take with you, can make way for more memories in a new home or adventure.
Lastly, who are we kidding? Either way, this moving thing is hard! Above all, my job is to make it as painless and straightforward as possible. My suggestion would be to interview some agents, you might be surprised to realize that you connect, see their value add, and trust that their expertise and professionalism make it worth hiring them. https://thereallasvegas.com/seller-disclosures-2/